Fall 2019 Biology Advising Update
We hope that the information below will help you plan for and participate in enrollment advising for the Fall 2019 semester. First, we’d like to introduce our advising team:
Darrell Johnson, advisor for all freshmen
Lauren Spain, advisor for sophomores-seniors, last name A-I
Dr. Dyan Morgan, advisor for sophomores-seniors, last name J-M
Lindsey Deaver, advisor for sophomores-seniors, last name N-Z
All Biology majors should schedule their advising appointments through Jayhawk GPS. Click the link and log in on the right side, and then select Academic Advising → General Advising → Enrollment/Holds → College Academic Student Services. Select "Enrollment/Holds" for the appointment type, as we unfortunately cannot schedule 1-hour appointments to create graduation plans during main advising to ensure that we can accommodate everyone who'd like to meet. If you'd like to create/review a graduation plan, please use your DPR and the degree plans found at https://kuub.ku.edu/babs to create a draft graduation plan. We'd be happy to review it during our 30-minute appointment.
Also note that if you don't see any availability during the week, please check the next week as advisors may be booked out 1-2 weeks. If possible, try to schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks before your enrollment date, if not earlier.
If you do not yet have an assigned biology advisor, contact Lindsey Deaver at firstname.lastname@example.org with your available times and days to schedule an appointment. We look forward to meeting you!
Biology Course Updates
- BIOL 424. Students with 3 credit hours of Biol 424 will fulfill Goal 6 and may request a waiver for Biol 599. Please contact your assigned advisor to discuss the possibility of this substitution.
- BIOL 546 Mammalian Physiology is being offered Summer 2019. It is regularly offered during fall semesters at the Edwards campus and spring semesters at the Lawrence campus.
- BIOL 638 Biochemistry II has recently changed prerequisites. A C or higher in both Biol 636 and Chem 335 is needed to be eligible for this course.
- BIOL 242 Human Anatomy Dissection Lab has been renumbered to Biol 442 to better reflect the course content. The course will now count towards Biol 400+ electives as well. Biol 442 will continue to have a prerequisite of Biol 240 and Biol 241.
- BIOL 408 Physiology of Organisms is no longer being offered. Students with BIOL 408 as a major requirement should enroll in BIOL 544 Comparative Animal Physiology (fall only; renumbered from BIOL 644).
- BIOL 416 Cell Structure and Function is offered both in the fall and spring semesters on the Lawrence campus. It will continue to be offered at the Edwards campus in the spring semester as well.
- BIOL 417 Biology of Development prerequisite change. The new Biol 417 prerequisites will be completion of Biol 350 and Biol 416. Biol 417 is offered during the spring semester on the Lawrence campus.
- BIOL 435 Intro to Neurobiology prerequisite change. The new Biol 435 prerequisites will be completion of Biol 350 and Biol 416. This course is offered in the fall on the Lawrence campus and in the spring semester on the Edwards campus.
- BIOL 600 Intro to Biochemistry is offered both in the fall and spring semesters on the Lawrence campus. It will continue to be offered at the Edwards campus in fall, spring and summer semesters as well.
- BIOL 616 Medical Entomology is no longer being offered, as Dr. Burg has retired.
- BIOL 646 Mammalian Physiology has been renumbered to BIOL 546 Mammalian Physiology, 3 credit hours. Mammalian Physiology has been decreased both in course number level and in credit hours to reflect changes in course content and structure.
Human Biology Majors
- ANTH 304 Fundamentals of Physical Anthropology. Graduating Human Biology majors who need to complete ANTH 304 should enroll in the course right at the time of their enrollment appointment to avoid the course filling up. If the course does not allow you to enroll, reach out to your assigned biology advisor. You may also enroll in Anth 340 to fulfill this requirement, which should be offered in the spring.
- ANTH 345 requirement for Human Biology. Students who need Anth 345 for the Human Biology major may substitute Anth 304, 340, or Biol 412 (spring only). Your DPR will not recognize this substitution so please email your assigned biology advisor to request this substitution to be updated on the DPR.
- Human Biology Major Course Offerings. Some course options under certain categories are no longer being offered in other departments, such as Applied Behavioral Science and Anthropology. If you have any difficulty finding courses to satisfy a certain category, please schedule an appointment through Jayhawk GPS with your assigned biology advisor to discuss possible substitutions.
Spring 2019, Summer 2019, and Fall 2019 Graduation Candidates
Spring 2019: Apply for Spring 2019 graduation now by going to Enroll & Pay à Degree Progress and Graduation. Every student must apply through Enroll & Pay to graduate. The deadline to apply was March 1st but you may still be able to apply by reaching out to your assigned graduation advisor or biology advisor. All graduates are invited to attend the Biology Graduation Recognition Ceremony on Saturday, May 18th, at 1:30 PM. You can find more information at https://kuub.drupal.ku.edu/biology-recognition-ceremony. RSVP is required and will be available at the above link in a few weeks.
Summer 2019: Apply for Summer 2019 graduation now by going to Enroll & Pay à Degree Progress and Graduation. Every student must apply through Enroll & Pay to graduate. The final deadline to apply is July 15th but we strongly encourage you to apply by April 19th to have your summer enrollment and graduation requirements reviewed before the summer semester begins in case any changes need to be made. All graduates are invited to attend the Biology Graduation Recognition Ceremony on Saturday, May 18th, at 1:30 PM. You can find more information at https://kuub.drupal.ku.edu/biology-recognition-ceremony. RSVP is required. RSVP is required and will be available at the above link in a few weeks.
Fall 2019: Apply for Fall 2019 graduation now by going to Enroll & Pay à Degree Progress and Graduation. Every student must apply through Enroll & Pay to graduate. The final deadline to apply is November 1st but we strongly encourage you to apply by July 15th to have your fall enrollment and graduation requirements reviewed before the fall semester begins in case any changes need to be made. All graduates are invited to attend the Biology Graduation Recognition Ceremony on Saturday, May 18th, at 1:30 PM. You can find more information at https://kuub.drupal.ku.edu/biology-recognition-ceremony. RSVP is required. You will also receive more information in October regarding the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Fall 2019 graduation recognition ceremony. You are welcome to attend both ceremonies. RSVP is required and will be available at the above link in a few weeks.
General Enrollment Information for all Majors
- Enrollment dates. In MyKU ⇒ Academics ⇒ My Progress, you can find your enrollment date. Click on the Progress tab to generate a current Degree Progress Report (DPR). Fall 2019 courses are now visible on https://classes.ku.edu and through Enroll & Pay (in Enroll & Pay, be sure to uncheck the box that searches only for open, non-full classes).
- Holds. Visit https://advising.ku.edu/enrollment to view the most common holds and the steps to remove them to enroll for the spring semester.
- Permission numbers. Please contact the instructor if you see “Inst Req” listed for a course and would like to request permission to enroll; normally this contact would be through email.
- Grade-based prerequisites. We have grade-based prerequisites for BIOL 152 Principles of Organismal Biology and BIOL 350 Principles of Genetics; a grade of C- or higher is required in these courses’ prerequisites. BIOL 638 Biochemistry II requires a grade of C or higher in both Biol 636 and Chem 335. Search for these courses at https://classes.ku.edu for details. The chemistry department also uses grade-based prerequisites for some of their courses.
- Prerequisites. Read course descriptions to learn what the prerequisites are for courses at classes.ku.edu. Also see http://www.kuub.ku.edu/courses to find out in which semester certain biology courses are offered.
- Current (and past) degree requirements and sample 4-yr plans. Go to http://www.kuub.ku.edu/degrees. We recommend using these in addition to your DPR.
- Courses in high demand. Some BIOL courses are in high demand and fill quickly. Be sure to enroll as soon as you’re able. If you have any holds that you don’t foresee being lifted in time for enrollment (for example, financial aid holds), contact the course instructor to see if you could request that a seat be saved for you. Some Fall 2019 courses in high demand are BIOL 152 Organismal Biology, BIOL 241 Human Anatomy Lab, BIOL 247 Human Physiology Lab, BIOL 402 Microbiology Lab, BIOL 405 Lab in Genetics, Biol 504 Immunology Lab, BIOL 599 Senior Seminar, and BIOL 637 Introductory Biochemistry lab.
The KU Undergraduate Biology Program